Garlic Mushroom Appetizer
My grandfather, who was a hotel chef for many years, created this recipe. He prepared these mushrooms for big family gatherings, and they always were gone quickly.
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes in puree, undrained
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Sliced French bread
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in oil and butter until
- crisp-tender. Add mushrooms; cook for 2 minutes or until vegetables
- are tender. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper; cover and simmer for
- 20-30 minutes.
- Stir in the vinegar, parsley and garlic. Cover and simmer for 10
- minutes. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or overnight. To
- serve, spoon onto slices of French bread. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 118 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 240 mg sodium, 8 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.