- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over
- mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 meatballs. In a large skillet,
- brown meatballs in oil on all sides; drain.
- In a Dutch oven, saute garlic in oil for 1 minute. Stir in the
- tomatoes, 2 cups water, tomato sauce and paste, parsley, cheese,
- basil and sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; carefully add
- Cover and simmer for 3 hours, adding more water if needed to achieve
- desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with
- additional Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired. Yield: 6
Nutrition Facts: 2 meatballs with 1 cup sauce equals 608 calories, 19 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 990 mg sodium, 79 g carbohydrate, 10 g fiber, 33 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.