Garlic Eggplant Spread
What a mouthwatering mix of flavors and textures in this delicious spread from Greenwood, Indiana’s Brenda Martin! Mild eggplant makes a perfect backdrop for the blend of fresh garlic, dill and salty capers. “It’s also terrific on pita sandwiches or makes a great party dip.”Brenda Martin, Greenwood, Indiana
7 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dill weed
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Baked pita chips
- Pierce eggplant thoroughly; place in an 8-in. square baking dish.
- Bake at 400° for 60-65 minutes or until tender.
- Drain. Cut eggplant in half and scoop out the pulp. In a bowl, mash
- the pulp. Add oil, dill, capers, garlic and salt; mix well. Serve
- with pita chips. Yield: 1-1/3 cups.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3 tablespoons) equals 57 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.