Garlic Chuck Roast
Having never made a roast before, I experimented with a few ingredients to come up with this hearty all-in-one meal. Not only is it easy, but the tender entree gets terrific flavor from garlic, onion and bay leaves.
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 2-1/4 hours + standing
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 15 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 pound baby carrots
- With a sharp knife, cut 15 slits in roast; insert garlic into slits.
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper.
- In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil; drain. Place bay leaves on top of
- roast; top with onion slices. Drizzle with butter. Add water to pan.
- Cover and bake at 325° for 1-1/2 hours.
- Baste roast with pan juices; add carrots. Cover and bake 45-60
- minutes longer or until meat and carrots are tender. Discard bay
- leaves. Let roast stand for 10 minutes before slicing. Thicken pan
- juices if desired. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (4 ounces) equals 385 calories, 22 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 118 mg cholesterol, 425 mg sodium,