Garlic-Basil Tortellini Soup
I created the recipe through trial and error. I make it with vegetable broth, but feel free to use chicken broth if you prefer. It is a quick fix with frozen pasta and canned beans, it's sure to heat up the chilliest of winter nights.Linda Kees, Boise, Idaho
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 can (19 ounces) white kidney beans or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the
- broth, water, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in tortellini.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for about 3 minutes or until
- tortellini begins to float. Stir in beans and vinegar; heat through.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (1-1/4 cups soup with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese) equals 284 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 20 mg cholesterol, 953 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2-1/2 starch, 2 lean meat.