Garden Orzo Risotto
No one will believe this rich, creamy dish was prepared in less than 30 minutes! I developed the recipe when my garden tomatoes, zucchini and basil were coming on strong. Using orzo instead of Arborio rice makes the risotto so much easier to prepare. —Cindy Beberman, Orland Park, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat orzo pasta
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, saute zucchini and shallot in oil until almost
- tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the orzo, broth and
- milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook and stir for
- 10-15 minutes or until liquid is almost absorbed.
- Stir in the spinach, tomatoes and basil; cook and stir until spinach
- is wilted. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, salt and
- pepper. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 202 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 429 mg sodium,