Game Day Brats
Looking for a twist on the usual tailgate fare? With French dressing and Monterey Jack cheese, these brats kick things up a notch! Instead of brats, you can also try this with cooked Italian sausage links, too. Laura McDowell — Lake Villa, Illinois
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 6 fully cooked bratwurst links
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 6 tablespoons French salad dressing
- 6 tablespoons shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 brat buns, split
- Make a lengthwise slit three-fourths of the way through each
- bratwurst to within 1/2 in. of each end. Fill with sauerkraut; top
- with dressing and cheese.
- Place bratwurst in buns; wrap individually in a double thickness of
- heavy-duty foil (about 12 in. x 10 in.). Grill, covered, over
- medium-hot heat for 10-15 minutes or until heated through and cheese
- is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 594 calories, 38 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 69 mg cholesterol, 1,395 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer