Fun Caramel Apples
Charming designs and gooey candy make these caramel apples irresistible. Use apples at room temperature because caramel tends to slip off of chilled apples. —Darla Wester, Meriden, Iowa
8 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 package (14 ounces) vibrant green Wilton candy melts
- 1 package (14 ounces) white Wilton candy melts
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 large tart apples, room temperature
- 8 lollipop sticks
- Assorted candies such as jimmies, M&M's and Reese's Pieces
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir
- until smooth and set aside. In another microwave-safe bowl,
- microwave melt the green candy melts. Repeat with white candy melts.
- In another microwave-safe bowl, microwave the caramels and water,
- uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir. Heat 30-45 seconds longer or
- until caramels are melted; stir until smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a stick into each; dip into
- caramel mixture, turning to coat. Place on prepared pan. Drizzle
- with melted chocolate and candy melts. Decorate as desired with
- melted chocolate, candy melts and candies. Refrigerate until set.
- Yield: 8 servings.