Fruity Rhubarb Sauce
My husband and I came up with these open-faced sandwiches when we didn't have much in the refrigerator. They've been a favorite ever since, particularly when we need a quick dinner. You can easily double the recipe when company drops by.
11 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 cups chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the rhubarb, raisins, sugar and water.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-22 minutes
- or until rhubarb is tender. Remove from the heat. Fold in pineapple
- and strawberries. Serve warm or chilled over ice cream. Yield: 5
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 113 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 4 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 1 g protein.