Fruited Sweet Potatoes
In Cape May Court House, New Jersey, Nancy Zimmerman dresses up convenient canned sweet potatoes and apricot halves with brown sugar and cinnamon. "This fast-to-fix-side dish is delicious with a ham dinner," she relates.
6 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) sweet potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) apricot halves
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Drain sweet potatoes and apricots, reserving 1/2 cup syrup from each.
- If desired, cut apricots into fourths. Place potatoes and apricots
- in a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. In a saucepan, combine brown
- sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and reserved syrup; stir until smooth.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Remove from the heat; pour
- over potatoes and apricots. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25
- minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving (prepared with light apricot halves) equals 192 calories, 68 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 46 gm carbohydrate, 2 gm protein, trace fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit.