- mixture, eggs, shortening, salt and 3 cups flour; mix until smooth.
- Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 16-in. x
- 9-in. rectangle. Sprinkle filling over dough to within 1/2 in. of
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to
- seal. Place on greased baking sheets; pinch ends together to form a
- ring. With a scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way
- toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips lightly;
- twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled,
- about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on
- wire racks for 20 minutes. For icing, combine the confectioners'
- sugar, lemon juice and milk; drizzle over tea rings while warm.
- Decorate with cherries if desired. Yield: 2 tea rings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 162 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 139 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.