Frozen Rhubarb Slush
Sweet and refreshing, this pretty pink slush stores well in the freezer, so it's great to have on hand for summer guests. Just thaw and add ginger ale or lemon-lime soda. Aahhh! —Danielle Brandt, Ruthton, Minnesota
22 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + freezing
- 8 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened strawberries
- 3 cups sugar
- 8 cups water
- 1 package (3 ounces) strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 11 cups ginger ale, chilled
- Rhubarb curls, optional
- In a Dutch oven, bring the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and water to
- a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-8 minutes or until
- rhubarb is tender. Press through a sieve; discard pulp. Stir in
- gelatin and lemon juice until dissolved.
- Transfer to a freezer container and freeze, stirring occasionally,
- until firm. May be frozen for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen rhubarb mixture: In a punch bowl or several pitchers,
- combine equal amounts of rhubarb mixture and ginger ale. Or for one
- serving, combine 1/2 cup rhubarb mixture and 1/2 cup ginger ale in a
- glass. Garnish with rhubarb curls if desired. Serve immediately.
- Yield: 22 servings (1 cup each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving equals 179 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 20 mg sodium,