- 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes
- out clean.
- For frosting, melt butter in a saucepan; whisk in the brown sugar,
- milk and egg yolks until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat
- until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a
- metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in coconut, almonds and
- vanilla. Spread over warm cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- Yield: 12-15 servings.
Editor's Note: As a substitute for each cup of self-rising flour, place 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup; add all-purpose flour to equals 1 cup. For 1/3 cup of self-rising flour, place 3/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a measuring cup; add all-purpose flour to equals 1/2 cup.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 589 calories, 34 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 121 mg cholesterol, 367 mg sodium, 66 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 8 g protein.