Fried Onion Rings
Field editor Christine Wilson of Sellersville, Pennsylvania shared this appealing appetizer. Sweet Vidalia onion rings are deep-fried to a crispy golden brown, then served with a cool and zesty lime dipping sauce.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large Vidalia or sweet onion
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- LIME DIPPING SAUCE:
- 2/3 cup Hellmann's® Real Mayonnaise
Rich and creamy, Hellman's® Real Mayonnaise makes your sides and sandwiches more tasty!
See More Recipes >
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown or horseradish mustard
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- Cut onion into 1/2 in. slices; separate into rings. In a large bowl,
- combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt, baking soda and
- cayenne. Combine egg and buttermilk stir into dry ingredients just
- until moistened.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to
- 375°. Dip onion rings into batter. Fry a few at a time for 1 to