Fried Green Tomatoes
"My grandmother came up with her own version of fried green tomatoes years ago. Our family loves it," says Melanie Chism of Coker, Alabama. "It's a traditional taste of the South that anyone anywhere can enjoy!"
6-8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + standing Cook: 10 min.
- 4 medium green tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Slice tomatoes 1/4 in. thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and
- lemon-pepper. Let stand for 20-25 minutes. Coat with cornmeal. In a
- large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Fry tomatoes for 3-4
- minutes on each side or until tender and golden brown. Drain on
- paper towels. Serve immediately. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 182 calories, 14 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 318 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.