Fresh Vegetable Stew
Sunny, colorful and brimming with garden flavor, this easy stovetop dish from the United Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Assn. stirs in several different squashes along with other favorite veggies.
12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound yellow squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound pattypan squash, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, cut into 1-in pieces
- 1-1/4 cups fresh sweet corn
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add
- squash, tomatoes and beans. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes
- or until squash is tender. Add corn, salt and pepper. Cook for 3
- minutes or until corn is tender. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (prepared without added salt) equals 59 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 184 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable.