Fresh Tomato Soup
This recipe makes the freshest-tasting soup that I've ever eaten. Most people don't expect a tomato soup to be chunky, but everyone who has tried this soup finds it a pleasant change from the smooth, creamy variety. It's an ideal way to use ripe tomatoes and other fresh garden produce!
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4-1/2 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 quart fresh tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- in large saucepan, saute the celery, onion, carrot and green pepper
- in butter. Add 4 cups broth, tomatoes, sugar, salt, curry and
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Combine flour and remaining 1/2 cup broth until smooth. Gradually
- stir into soup. Cook until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.
- Yield: 2 quarts.
Nutrition Facts:Diabetic Exchanges: One cup serving equals 1/2 bread, 1/2 fat; also, 57 calories, 368 mg sodium, 9 mg cholesterol,