Fresh Strawberry Sauce
THIS SAUCE was first served to me by my mother, who was a wonderful cook.
During these months when strawberries are so plentiful, I like to keep this sauce on hand so I can improvise a delightful dessert for just the two of us. It's delicious over ice cream or angel food cake.
-Joyce Courtney, West Chester, Ohio
3 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + chilling
- 1 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
- Ice cream or angel food cake
- Combine the strawberries and sugar in a small bowl; cover and
- refrigerate for 2-3 hours. Drain, reserving juice. Set berries
- aside. Add water to juice to measure 1/2 cup; pour into a saucepan.
- Stir in cornstarch until smooth. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for
- 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Pour over berries;
- fold gently. Chill. Serve over ice cream or cake. Yield: 3/4 cup.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/4-cup serving of sauce equals 35 calories, trace fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 fruit.