French Toast Easter Eggs
Here's a festive Easter treat and no-fuss brunch additionall rolled into one! Like the CT home economists did, you can easily shape these eggs from bread with a cookie cutter, prepare them the same as traditional French toast and "paint" the pieces will jellies. Plus, youngsters, can decorate their own helpings with their name or designs.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 loaf (1 pound) French bread, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- Strawberry, mint and grape jellies
- Cut each slice of bread with a 3-in. oval cookie cutter; discard
- crust. In a bowl, beat eggs, orange juice, sugar, orange peel and
- salt. Melt butter in a large skillet. Dip both sides of bread into
- egg mixture; cook in butter until golden brown on both sides.
- Meanwhile, heat jellies in microwave-safe bowls just until warm.
- Transfer each to a separate plastic or pastry bag; cut a small hole
- in the corner of bag. Decorate French toast to resemble Easter eggs.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 264 calories, 10 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 508 mg sodium, 35 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 8 g protein.