Bright green and festive for Easter, this side dish has a slightly sweet flavor everyone will favor. Water chestnuts add a nice crunch. "A friend shared this tasty recipe," pens Pat Walter from Pine Island, Minnesota. "It's a different way to present peas."
12-14 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups shredded lettuce
- In a large saucepan, saute water chestnuts and onion in butter until
- onion is tender. Stir in the flour, sugar and salt until blended.
- Gradually add milk; stir in peas. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until peas are tender and sauce is
- slightly thickened. Add lettuce; cook until lettuce is wilted.
- Yield: 12-14 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 109 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 216 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.