It's handy to have this sweet creamy frosting in the freezer when you need to decorate a cake or cupcakes. Just thaw in the fridge and spread. "It's easy to tint with food coloring for a special look," assures Evelyn Comeau of Virden, Manitoba.
24 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + freezing
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 4-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 to 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a bowl, cream shortening, 1 cup of sugar, vanilla and salt. Add
- the remaining sugar alternately with cream. Beat until the frosting
- reaches desired consistency. Cover and freeze for up to 2 months.
- Thaw before using. Yield: about 3 cups (enough to frost 24 cupcakes
- or a two-layer, tube, 13- x 9-inch or 15- x 10-inch cake).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 138 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 28 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, trace protein.