Loaded with crunch, this sweet-tart slaw can be made ahead for a family gathering. There’s no mayonnaise in the dressing, so it’s perfect to take to a picnic. —Donna Sasser Hinds, Milwaukie, Oregon
10 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + freezing
- 1 medium head cabbage (about 2 pounds), shredded
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage and salt; let stand for 1 hour.
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, water, celery seed
- and mustard seed. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from
- the heat; cool.
- Add the carrot, green pepper and vinegar mixture to the cabbage
- mixture; stir to combine. Transfer to large freezer bags; seal and
- freeze for up to 2 months.
- Remove from the freezer 2 hours before serving. Serve with a slotted
- spoon. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 185 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 256 mg sodium,