Foolproof Pie Shells
"I received this recipe from my 94-year old sister. She suggested using egg, cold water and cider vinegar to keep the crust moist. If they eat all the crust of my pie, then I know it was good!"
32 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1-3/4 cups shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt; cut in shortening
- until crumbly. Whisk the egg, water and vinegar; gradually add to
- flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide
- into four portions. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion of dough to fit a
- 9-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plates. Trim each pastry to
- 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Fill or bake shells
- according to recipe directions. Yield: 4 pie shells.
Nutrition Facts: 1/8 of pie shell equals 157 calories, 11 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 7 mg cholesterol, 150 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.