Fluffy Cherry Frosting
Try topping your favorite cake with this creamy cooked frosting from our Test Kitchen. A pink tint and a hint of cherry flavor make it extra special.
12 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cherry extract or 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites, water, cherry
- juice and cream of tartar. With a portable mixer, beat on low speed
- for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting
- reaches 160° on a candy thermometer, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add extracts. Beat on
- high until stiff peaks form, about 7 minutes. Yield: 8 cups.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 107 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 19 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein.