- wire rack. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk
- in water and orange juice. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until
- thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes
- longer (mixture will be thick). Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks;
- return all to pan, whisking constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook
- and stir 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Gently stir in lemon juice,
- butter, and lemon and orange peels.
- For meringue, in a large bowl, beat egg whites with vanilla and cream
- of tartar on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1
- tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until
- sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until soft glossy peaks form.
- Transfer hot filling to crust. Spread meringue over filling, sealing
- to edge of crust; swirl top with the back of a spoon.
- Bake 13-16 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire
- rack; serve within 2 hours. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8
PASTRY FOR SINGLE-CRUST PIE (9 INCHES): Combine 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/8 tsp. salt; cut in 1/2 cup cold butter until crumbly. Gradually add 3-4 Tbsp. ice water, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour.
Nutrition Facts: 1 piece equals 350 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 115 mg cholesterol, 293 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.