Flavorful Summer Squash
Andrea Yacyk of Brigantine, New Jersey flavors sauteed squash with garlic, red onion and dried herbs for garden-fresh goodness. Sprinkled with cheese, it makes a bright side dish that’s quick to fix and delicious to taste.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 medium yellow summer squash, sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the yellow squash, zucchini, onion
- and garlic in oil until crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the parsley, basil, oregano, thyme and salt. Remove from the
- heat. Sprinkle with cheese; cover and let stand until cheese is
- melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 2/3 cup equals 83 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 147 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.