Flavorful Mashed Potatoes
Earthy herbs bring a full chorus of flavor to creamy red potatoes, making this side dish anything but ordinary. Save it for special occasions or serve as a dressy accompaniment to a weeknight meal. Mary Relyea - Canastota, New York
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 4 pounds red potatoes (about 12 medium)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- Scrub and quarter potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with
- water. Add garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for
- 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- In a large bowl, mash potato mixture. Stir in the remaining
- ingredients. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 146 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 280 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat.