Flavorful Marinated Mozzarella
This make-ahead appetizer picks up wonderful flavor from the vinegar and spices. I’ve made it with fat-free mozzarella, and it still tasted just as good.Rita Reinke, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
2 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup (4 ounces) 1/2-inch cubed part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons diced green pepper
- 2 tablespoons diced sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 3/4 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Prick mozzarella cubes with a fork; place in a glass bowl. In a small
- saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Cook over medium heat
- for 5 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Remove
- from the heat; let cool to room temperature.
- Pour over cheese. Stir gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 24
- hours. Yield: 1/4 pound.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/8 pound) equals 516 calories, 47 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 349 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 19 g protein.