Flavorful Catfish Fillets
"This is the best catfish ever!" applauds Ellen De Munnik of Chesterfield, Michigan. "It's fast to prepare...and the cayenne adds a little zip," Her golden cornmeal and herb coating keeps the fillets moist and gives them traditional appeal without the fat that comes from frying.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon each salt, onion powder, garlic powder and paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound catfish fillets
- Lemon wedges, optional
- In a shallow bowl, whisk buttermilk and mustard until smooth. In
- another bowl, combine the cornmeal and seasonings. Dip fillets into
- buttermilk mixture, then into cornmeal mixture.
- Place 1 in. apart on a wire rack coated with cooking spray. Place
- rack on a baking sheet. Broil 4 in. from the heat for 3-4 minutes on
- each side or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with lemon
- if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 295 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 75 mg cholesterol, 751 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 1 starch.