In Ottawa, Illinois, Jeanette Simec combines five kinds of beans with an oil-and-vinegar dressing in this colorful classic that's great to take to picnics or potluck, "Everyone loves the variety of beans in this simple salad," she writes. "My husband, Chuck, just can't get enough of it."
15 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) cut wax beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen cut green beans, thawed
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In another bowl,
- whisk the vinegar, sugar, oil, salt and pepper. Pour over bean
- mixture and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or
- overnight. Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 15 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (2/3 cup) equals 161 calories, 5 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 496 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.