Firecracker Salmon Steaks
Red pepper flakes and cayenne provide the fiery flavor that gives these salmon steaks their name. Basting the fish with the zippy sauce while grilling creates a glossy glaze. Phyllis Schmalz of Kansas City, Kansas
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 4 salmon steaks (6 ounces each)
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, chili sauce, sugar, garlic,
- parsley and seasonings.
- Using long-handled tongs, moisten a paper towel with cooking oil and
- lightly coat the grill rack. Grill salmon, covered, over medium heat
- or broil 4 in. from the heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until
- fish flakes easily with a fork, basting occasionally with sauce.
- Yield: 4 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving equals 373 calories, 17 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 106 mg cholesterol, 565 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 32 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 5 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.