Fire and Ice Tomatoes
You won't miss the salt in this refreshing tomato salad! It's well-seasoned with cayenne pepper, mustard seed and vinegar but not the least but spicy. "This dish is always a hit at potlucks," says Nan Rickey of Yuma Arizona.
8 ServingsPrep: 10 min. + chilling
- 5 large tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3/4 cup white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large cucumber, sliced
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes and onion; set aside. In a
- small saucepan, combine the vinegar, sugar, water, mustard seed and
- cayenne. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 minute.
- Pour over tomatoes and onion; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for
- at least 2 hours. Add cucumber; toss to coat. Refrigerate overnight.
- Serve with a slotted spoon. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 72 calories, 1 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 11 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.