Finnish Christmas Cookies
"My friend bakes these cookies at Christmas," says Judith Outlaw of Portland, Oregon. "They're popular at cookie exchanges, but my friend's husband urges her not to trade any of them!"
36 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup finely chopped almonds
- Colored sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in flour and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1
- Roll out onto a well-floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Brush
- lightly with egg. Sprinkle with almonds and sugar if desired. Using
- a fluted pastry cutter or knife, cut into 2-in. x 1-in. strips.
- Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on
- wire racks. Yield: about 6 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 each) equals 177 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 33 mg cholesterol, 105 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.