- heat; stir in figs. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheese, cream and vanilla. Place one
- sheet of phyllo dough on a work surface; brush with butter. (Keep
- remaining phyllo covered with plastic wrap and a damp towel to
- prevent it from drying out.) Repeat with two more sheets of phyllo,
- brushing each layer with butter. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup walnuts.
- Repeat. Top with two sheets of phyllo, brushing each layer with
- Spread half of cheese mixture over phyllo to within 1/4 in. of edges.
- Spread half of pear mixture widthwise over half of cheese mixture.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with the short side spread with
- pear mixture.
- Place seam side down on a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Using a sharp knife, cut slits in top. Brush with butter and
- sprinkle with coarse sugar. Repeat with remaining phyllo, melted
- butter, walnuts, cheese mixture and pear mixture. Bake at 350°
- for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Cool to room temperature.
- Cut into slices. Yield: 2 strudels (4 slices each).
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 581 calories, 47 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 303 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein.