- In a large bowl, combine the masa harina, broth, salsa, oil, corn,
- onions, Sazón seasoning and salt; beat until well blended. Cover and
- refrigerate overnight.
- Place corn husks in a large bowl; cover with cold water and soak for
- at least 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender; add
- the chipotle pepper, garlic, oregano and cumin; saute 1 minute
- longer. Add chicken and broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer
- for 15-20 minutes or until liquid is evaporated, stirring
- For vegetable tamales, drain corn husks and pat dry. Place a corn
- husk on a work surface with the small end pointing away from you.
- Place 1/4 cup dough over half of husk closest to you, spreading
- dough to within 1 in. of edges. Sprinkle olives and cheeses down the
- Lifting one long side, fold husk over filling so that edges meet,
- enclosing filling in husk. Fold ends of husk over tamale; tie with
- corn husk strips. Repeat 11 times. For chicken tamales, use 1/4 cup
- dough on each corn husk and 1/4 cup chicken mixture. Repeat 11
- times, folding and tying each tamale.
- Line a large steamer basket with four corn husks. Place basket in a
- Dutch oven over 1 in. of water; position half of the tamales upright
- in basket.
- Cover tamales with four corn husks. Bring to a boil; cover and steam
- in batches for 50-60 minutes or until dough peels away from husk,
- adding hot water to pan as needed and replacing corn husks in pan.
- Remove husks before eating. Yield: 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 2 meatless tamales equals 571 calories, 37 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 58 mg cholesterol, 1,227 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 19 g protein. 2 chicken tamales equals 525 calories, 25 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 889 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 34 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.