Fiery Potato Chips
Seasoned with chili powder and cayenne pepper, these paper-thin chips are surefire crowd-pleasers.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 5 min./batch
- 4 medium unpeeled potatoes
- 4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 cups ice water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Using a vegetable peeler or metal cheese slicer, cut potatoes into
- very thin lengthwise strips. Place in a large bowl; add 3 teaspoons
- salt and ice water. Soak for 30 minutes; drain.
- Place potatoes on paper towels and pat dry. In a small bowl, combine
- the chili powder, garlic salt, parsley, cayenne and remaining salt;
- set aside.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Cook
- potatoes in oil in batches for 2-3 minutes or until deep golden
- brown, stirring frequently.
- Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Immediately
- sprinkle with reserved seasoning mixture. Store in an airtight
- container. Yield: 10 cups.