A creamy and comforting cheese sauce, with a hint of pepper and nutmeg, coats fettuccine noodles in fine fashion. "This is wonderful as is, but sometimes I like to add sliced fresh mushrooms and black olives that have been sauteed in butter and garlic," notes Jo Gray from Park City, Montana.
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 ounces uncooked fettuccine
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash each pepper and ground nutmeg
- Cook fettuccine according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a
- saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Stir in the cream, 1/4
- cup cheese, Romano cheese, egg yolk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook
- and stir over medium-low heat until a thermometer reads 160° (do
- not boil). Drain fettuccine; top with Alfredo sauce and remaining
- Parmesan cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 cup equals 915 calories, 74 g fat (45 g saturated fat), 342 mg cholesterol, 878 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 24 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.