Festive Tossed Salad
With its unique medley of fruits and festive look, this salad is a holiday tradition at our house. Our three grown daughters have come to expect it. One forkful reminds us of all the things we can be thankful for.
-Jauneen Hosking, Waterford, Wisconsin
8-10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup canola oil
- 2 to 3 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 10 cups torn romaine
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 medium pear, chopped
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped cashews
- In a blender, combine the sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, onion and
- salt. Cover and process until blended. With blender running,
- gradually add oil. Add poppy seeds and blend.
- In a salad bowl, combine the romaine, cheese, apple, pear and
- cranberries. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing. Add cashews;
- toss to coat. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 288 calories, 21 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 195 mg sodium,