Festive Peas and Onions
The first time I tried this recipe, my friend finished half of it while my back was turned! That was over 30 years ago, but the dish is just as popular today.
4-6 ServingsPrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen pearl onions
- 2 cups water
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1 jar (2 ounces) diced pimientos, divided
- 1/3 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Prepare onions according to package directions. Drain, reserving 1/4
- cup liquid. In a large bowl, combine the onions, peas, soup, 2
- tablespoons pimientos and reserved cooking liquid; stir to coat.
- Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese and
- remaining pimientos. Bake 5 minutes longer or until the cheese is
- melted. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 131 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 9 mg cholesterol, 463 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 6 g protein.