Festive Cheese Bites
Over the years, these buttery cheese treats have been a handy standby at our house. I often have some extra batches in the freezer that I can pop in the oven whenever company comes calling. Usually guests are reluctant to take the last one on the tray, but not these!
40 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 1 unsliced loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1 block (8 ounces) cheddar cheese, cubed
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 4 egg whites
- Cut bread into 1-in. cubes; set aside. In a saucepan over low heat,
- melt the cheeses and butter. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff
- peaks form. Fold into cheese mixture. Dip bread cubes into cheese
- mixture. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 12-15
- minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm. Yield: about 10
Editor's Note: Unbaked appetizers may be frozen for up to 4 months. Bake as directed (they do not need to be thawed first).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (3 each) equals 103 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 21 mg cholesterol, 159 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.