Festive Appetizer Spread
Our state is known for its cranberries, and there are many bogs in our area. I won first place with this recipe in a contest sponsored by our local newspaper.
24 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 package (12 ounces) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese
- Assorted crackers
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring water and sugar to a boil
- without stirring; boil for 5 minutes. Add cranberries, cook until
- berries pop and sauce is thickened, about 10 minutes. Remove from
- the heat.
- Cut apricots in the preserves into small pieces; add to cranberry
- mixture. Stir in lemon juice. Cool. Add almonds.
- Spoon over cream cheese; serve with crackers. Store leftovers in the
- refrigerator. Yield: about 3 cups.
Editor's Note: This sauce may also be served as an accompaniment to poultry or pork.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 97 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 31 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein.