Festive Anise Hard Candy
Anyone who likes the flavor of anise is sure to enjoy these five-ingredient candies. The bright red color makes them perfect for the holiday season.
48 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + cooling
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 2 to 3 teaspoons anise extract or 1 teaspoon anise oil
- 8 to 10 drops red food coloring
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, water and corn syrup.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cover and
- cook for 3 minutes or until sugar is dissolved. Uncover; cook over
- medium heat, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads
- 300° (hard-crack stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring (if using
- anise oil, keep face away from mixture as the aroma will be very
- strong). Pour into a buttered 13-in. x 9-in. pan. When cooled
- slightly but not hardened, cut into 1-in. squares. Cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. Yield: about 1 pound.