"I USUALLY used a glass or baking powder can lid as a cutter so the biscuits would be bigger than average size...and I always baked some extras to send home with the kids. They liked to split them and fill them with cheese or peanut butter and strawberry jam."
24 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 cups buttermilk baking mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 to 1-1/4 cups warm water (120° to 130°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the baking mix, sugar and yeast. Cut in
- shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough
- warm water to form a soft and slightly sticky dough. Turn onto a
- floured surface; knead gently 3-4 times.
- Roll dough to 3/4-in. thickness; cut with a 2-1/2-in. round biscuit
- cutter. Place on ungreased baking sheets. Brush tops with melted
- butter. Bake at 400° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Yield: about 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 173 calories, 9 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 397 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.