Favorite Irish Soda Bread
My best friend Rita O’Malley shared this irresistible Irish soda bread recipe. It bakes up high, with a golden brown top and a combination of sweet and savory flavors.Jan Alfano, Prescott, Arizona
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- In a large bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Stir in raisins.
- Set aside 1 tablespoon beaten egg. In a bowl, combine the
- buttermilk, oil and remaining eggs; stir into flour mixture just
- until moistened (dough will be sticky). Transfer to a greased 9-in.
- round baking pan; brush top with reserved egg.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near
- the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pan to a wire rack to cool. Cut into wedges. Yield: 1 loaf (12
Nutrition Facts: 1 wedge equals 227 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 447 mg sodium, 46 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.