- Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at
- 350° for 13-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from
- pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, egg whites and
- water. With a portable mixer, beat mixture on low speed for 1
- minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches
- 160°, about 10 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl; add vanilla. Beat on high until frosting
- forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Spread between layers and over
- top and sides of cake. Sprinkle with coconut. Store in the
- refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 437 calories, 15 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 348 mg sodium, 71 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.