Fast Light Lemon Mousse
This smooth and refreshing dessert is popular at summer cookouts, but it makes a delicious light finish to hearty winter meals, too. For a pretty presentation, I serve it in individual glass dishes garnished with fresh sliced strawberries.
-Joan Jay, Frisco, Texas
10 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 3 cups fat-free milk
- 2/3 cup lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping
- 3 drops yellow food coloring, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir
- in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring
- constantly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and
- bubbly. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice, peel and
- Set saucepan in ice; stir until mixture reaches room temperature,
- about 5 minutes. Fold in whipped topping and food coloring if
- desired. Spoon into dessert dishes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour
- before serving. Yield: 10 servings.
Nutrition Facts: One 1/2-cup serving equals 145 calories, 2 g fat (0 saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 39 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fruit.