Fast Kielbasa Cabbage Soup
A friend brought samples of this recipe to a soup-tasting class sponsored by our extension homemakers club. It was a great hit with my family. The mix of sausage, apples and vegetables makes a different and flavorful combination.
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 3/4 to 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium unpeeled Golden Delicious apples, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large saucepan, saute the coleslaw mix, carrots, onion, celery
- and caraway seeds in butter for 5-8 minutes or until vegetables are
- crisp-tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes,
- stirring occasionally. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 271 calories, 20 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 48 mg cholesterol, 1,321 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 10 g protein.