Farmhouse Chicken and Biscuits
"MOTHER had two special ways of fixing chickenbrowning serving-size pieces in fresh butter, or preparing this delicious sauce with the chicken added. Either way, our family loved Mother's chicken!"
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 55 min.
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (3-1/2 to 4 pounds), cut up
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 celery ribs with leaves, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups water
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Homemade or purchased biscuits, warmed
- Combine the first seven ingredients in a Dutch oven; cover and simmer
- until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. Remove vegetables and
- chicken from broth; set vegetables aside, and skin, bone and cube
- the chicken. Strain and reserved 3 cups of the broth. In a large
- saucepan, melt butter; add flour and pepper. Cook and stir over
- medium heat until bubbly. Gradually stir in the reserved broth;
- bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute. Add chicken
- and vegetables; heat through. Serve over biscuits. Yield: 6-8
Wine: Full-Bodied White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.