Fall Pear Pie
A wide slice of this festive fruity pie is a great end to a delicious meal. The mellow flavor of pears is a refreshing alternative to the more common pies for the holidays. It's nice to serve a dessert that's a little unexpected.
-Ken Churches, Kailua-Kona, HI
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 8 cups thinly sliced peeled pears
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the pears, sugar, tapioca and nutmeg; let
- stand for 15 minutes.
- Line a pie plate with bottom crust; add pear mixture. Roll out
- remaining pastry to fit top of pie. Place over filling; seal and
- flute edges. Cut large slits in top. Brush with egg.
- Bake at 375° for 55-60 minutes or until the pears are tender.
- Remove to a wire rack. Pour cream through slits if desired. Cool.
- Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 440 calories, 15 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 37 mg cholesterol, 208 mg sodium, 75 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.