- For filling, in a small bowl, cream the shortening, butter and
- confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in milk and
- vanilla until smooth. Tint with food coloring. Spread about a
- tablespoon filling on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with
- remaining cookies.
- For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth; set
- aside 1/4 cup. Stir food coloring into remaining glaze; spread a
- thin layer over cooled cookies. If desired, sprinkle tops of half of
- the cookies with colored sugar. Let stand until set. Pipe garland
- onto half of the cookies with reserved glaze. Let stand until set.
- Yield: about 2 dozen.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 208 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.